Mental Health & Well-being, Grow, Organization News
Let’s Talk About Coping: Wellness Wednesday, Episode 2
In the second episode of our Wellness Wednesday series, Jessica Gendron Williams sat down with Ross Szabo to talk about mental health.
And Ross was the perfect guy for the job. His passion for mental health runs deep and stems from personal experience. From being diagnosed with bipolar disorder at a young age to running the National Mental Health Awareness Campaign to becoming the Wellness Director of UCLA’s Geffen Academy, he can relate. And, we think you might, too. Ross changed the way we think about and approach mental health.
Here’s What We Learned:
- There’s no right or wrong way to deal with trauma.
- One of the most important things you can do is make sure you have ways to express yourself and find some kind of balance.
- You have to do what’s real for you.
- Do what helps you, and remember not to judge others or yourself for how you cope. You have to be forgiving with yourself and continue to focus on what motivates you.
- Treat your mental health like you treat your physical health.
- Society celebrates the latest fitness fad and joining the newest gym. That sense of celebration and focus falls short when it comes to mental health. But mental health is just as important and building the muscles of mental health can be developed with the right strategies.
Watch the recorded episode and find additional resources here. When you’re in Minerva, take time for some personal reflection as you explore Kappa’s additional wellness resources.
Feeling stressed? Overwhelmed? Mark your calendar for the Self-Care, Stress Management and Effective Coping webinar with Ross on Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. ET.
A special thank you goes to the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation for not only supporting our sisters, but for funding this series so everyone — not only Kappas — can focus on their mental health and well-being.