the heritage museum landing


The Heritage Museum

 

The Heritage Museum is dedicated to educating visitors about the changing societal role of women in higher education and to preserving the architectural integrity of the 1852 Italianate home. Recognized as the finest example of Italianate-style architecture in the city of Columbus, it was built by Philip Snowden in 1852. The building was officially the Columbus residence of Civil War-era Governor David Tod and served as the clubhouse of the Columbus Women’s Club from 1923 until 1941. During the 10 years before Kappa Kappa Gamma purchased the property in 1951, the once fashionable mansion housed a succession of businesses until it finally deteriorated into a poorly kept rooming house. The Heritage Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and its stately rooms reflect the grand Victorian splendor of the 1870s.

    Visit The Heritage Museum

     
    Address
    530 East Town Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
     
    Telephone
    614-228-6515, 1-866-KKG-1870
     
    Archivist/Curator
    Kylie Towers Smith, 614-228-6516, ext. 129
     
    Walk-in tours
    Open for walk-in tours on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1:00—4:00p.m.; other times by appointment
     
    Suggested donations
    $5/adults, $3/seniors, $3/students, FREE/Children under 5
     
    Resources
    Voyage of Discovery
    Become a friend of the museum!