as the finest example of Italianate style architecture in the
city of Columbus, Ohio the international Headquarters of Kappa Kappa
Gamma Fraternity is located at 530 East Town Street and houses the
three rooms that constitute The Heritage Museum.
current residential area was first plotted and subdivided in 1850
by John F. Bartlit. In 1852, Bartlit sold lot #2 to Philip T. Snowden.
Snowden was a well-established dry goods merchant. His wife, Abigail,
ran a millinery shop a pioneer in her own right.
sharply fluctuating economy coupled with severe financial reverses
forced Snowden into bankruptcy. In 1860 the Snowden's home was
sold at sheriff's sale to satisfy the collection of back taxes.
The house was then acquired as the Columbus residence of Governor-elect
David Tod. The Tods entertained royally while living in Columbus.
One notable guest was then-Senator of Tennessee, Andrew Johnson,
later Vice President and President after the assassination of Abraham
Lincoln in 1865. David Tod lost his bid for re-election in 1864.
1865, David S. Gray took up residence. His family occupied the house
for more than 57 years, until 1922. After the death of David Gray,
his heirs sold the property to the Columbus Women's Club which remodeled
the house to suit its new role as the members' "club house." They
added an addition, which connected the former stable at the rear
of the property to the back of the former residence. This new space
was the second largest auditorium in the city of Columbus at the
time. It now serves as the Membership Services and Finance Departments
for Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Great Depression took its toll on the financial stability of the
Club. By 1941, the struggling group was forced to sell the property.
During the 10 years before Kappa Kappa Gamma purchased the property
in 1951, the once fashionable mansion housed a succession of businesses
until it finally deteriorated into a poorly-kept rooming house.