After three months of Friday field trips and weekend adventures in the city our Fraternity calls home, we interns created a list of our 10 favorite experiences in Columbus, Ohio.
1. Eat and explore your way through German Village.
Whether you’re strolling down the brick streets of Columbus’ quaintest neighborhood while snacking on a delicious macaron from Pistacia Vera, hitting up Harvest Pizzeria for mouthwatering pizza made from farm fresh ingredients (where we spent a hefty portion of our paychecks, TBH) or getting lost in one of The Book Loft's 32 rooms of bargain books, a day spent in German Village is always picture perfect.
2. Hop down to Short North.
If you like gallery hopping and perusing local art, coffee shop hopping (while winning a free t-shirt), or immersing yourself in cultural cuisines, the Short North Arts District is here for you.
3. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks …
Even if sports aren’t your thing, you should still spend a day at a Columbus Clippers game. The atmosphere of the park on a breezy summer night genuinely made this one of our favorite intern memories.
4. Don’t let your summer flutter by without a trip to the Franklin Park Conservatory.
The breathtaking botanical gardens, the chance to play with butterflies and vibrant collection of Chihuly glasswork made this our favorite Friday field trip.
5. Not your average movie night.
Hosted in the stunning and historic Ohio Theatre, the CAPA Movie Summer Movie Series is the nation’s longest-running classic film series. A different film is featured each week and tickets are just $4.
6. Fashion emergency?
Then you better head to Easton Town Center. With a dine-in movie theatre, endless restaurants and shops ranging from Anthropologie to The Container Store, Easton is here for all of your
splurging shopping needs.
7. Let loose your inner-child at COSI.
Experiencing the interactive exhibits at Columbus’ Center of Science and Industry is like getting to reenact The Magic School Bus in real-life for kids of all ages. Check out COSI After Dark for even more grown-up fun.
8. Nothing common about the Commons
The Columbus Commons is a mid-city oasis. This downtown park boasts food trucks on Thursdays, concerts (most of them free) multiple times a week and there’s even a carousel, so you’re always sure to have a good time.
9. I scream, you scream…
Everyone in Columbus screams for Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams. The name is no exaggeration. There’s a reason this is a must-have for Fraternity Council meetings.
10. Having fun isn’t hard when you’ve got a library card.
Call us nerds, but we loved hanging out the library — we almost had our mail forwarded to us there. Free books, free movies, fantastic study spaces and a newly renovated building? It’s everything an intern could want.
We really loved these places too and couldn’t bear not to share.
- Replenish Spa
- Located in a carriage house next to Headquarters, this nonprofit spa offers traditional beauty and skin services as well as yoga classes.
- Columbus Museum of Art
- Cultural, within walking distance of HQ, newly renovated and free on Sundays. Go.
- Hocking Hills
- While technically not inside Columbus city limits, the trails, caves and waterfalls of Hocking Hills State Park make it worth the drive.
- Thurber House
- Another Friday field trip favorite, the home of playwright, New Yorker cartoonist and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty author James Thurber offers self-guided tours and many opportunities for creativity and community engagement.
- Columbus Park of Roses
- One of the largest public rose gardens in America, it’s like stepping into a fairytale. There are also walking and biking trails, baseball fields and tennis courts for all your athletic needs.
The Interns: Morgan Christie, Ohio Wesleyan; Grace Brown, Utah; Lauren Bellatti, Oklahoma; Cara Bargiacchi, DePauw