Did you know that it takes 25 weeks of full-time minimum wage work to pay the average tuition at an in-state public university? In the early 1970s … it took less than eight weeks. And did you know that a typical college student spends an average of $1,225 on textbooks each year? So it comes as no surprise that the average student graduates with roughly $33,000 in student loan debt.
Students today don’t just attend classes and study hard. When you aspire to work a part-time job, land an internship, be involved in Kappa and pursue passions—life becomes quite the juggling act.
That’s where the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation comes in. Each year, the Kappa Foundation awards scholarships to members who need a little help making their college life easier. Here are our top 10 reasons to apply for a Foundation scholarship:
- Most Foundation scholarships are worth $3,000 for the academic year. $3,000 can go a long way!
- In 2014, 50% of members who applied for a scholarship received one! 2:1 odds are greater than many other scholarships so it’s well worth the effort.
- You only need to submit one application to apply for the more than 160 scholarships available. The Scholarship Committee will match your application to all scholarships for which you are eligible.
- Some chapters have scholarships just for them! Thanks to sisters who have endowed scholarships, members from that specific chapter get first preference.
- Some scholarships are major specific, such as the Elaine Johnson Lampert Journalism Memorial Adelphe Scholarship for journalism majors, or the Emily Day Koppell Memorial Adelphe Scholarship for music majors.
- Foundation scholarships aren’t just based on need. They are based on a combination of factors including academic merit, financial need and participation and leadership in Kappa, campus and community activities.
- Unlike loans, scholarships don’t need to be paid back. No interest rates, no payment plans, just free money to use for school.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified in late May if they’ve received a scholarship. This means a worry-free summer!
- Foundation scholarships are funded by our members. It is thanks to the generosity of our sisters that the Kappa Foundation was able to award 188 scholarships last year!
- Apply because you are a Kappa! Foundation scholarships are only awarded to initiated members of our organization.
On Nov. 15, applications will go live. Applications and supporting documents are due to the Kappa Foundation office postmarked or emailed no later than Feb. 1, 2016.
What are you waiting for? We can’t wait to see the amazing things you will do for our sisterhood, our society and the world.