Emily Dunn, Education Coordinator
“It’s just another webinar, right? It’s not THAT important.” “I can be the President of [insert chapter name here] chapter without listening to someone talk for an hour.”
If you’ve thought any of these thoughts before, we’d like you to reconsider.
Recently, several volunteers (and Headquarters staff) put our heads together and tried to answer an age-old question: Why should members watch our webinars? We quickly blurted out the following responses: Because they’re great! They’re informative! They’re helpful! They’re free!
Sure, those answers were OK, but we decided to dig a little deeper. The further we dug, the more answers we discovered. I’ve decided to save you some time and narrow the list to the top 10. If these don’t convince you, I’m not sure what will!
1. You might be asking yourself: Self, I know what the previous Vice President-Organization did, but is that really my job? Officer training webinars will not be able to tell you whether every move your VPO made was the right one or not, but it will clear up the specifics of what your job actually entails. (This way, you’ll know you’re doing it correctly). You’ll gain more understanding about how your chapter should function and you’ll have more to contribute to your committee, too!
2. Wondering what to do for your next sisterhood event? Are you a new member looking to learn more about officer positions you might want to hold in the future? Make the webinar a mini-sisterhood event! Attend the webinar with your committee and adviser. It’s a great way to get others involved and educated about officer responsibilities. Besides, if you think you might want to be the chapter President one day, the President’s webinar can help you gain a better understanding of the position!
3. Worried about not being an effective officer? Worry no more! If you only learn what’s expected of you and what is presented during the webinar (and then put it into action), you’ll be doing a great job as an officer!
4. You’ll learn a different form of technology! So many businesses (large and small) and universities are utilizing webinar systems for training, development and meetings. You’ll have an advantage throughout your collegiate and professional careers if you start understanding this technology now. BONUS: You get to learn the technology while using it and you’ll learn transferrable skills for the real world in the meantime. Speaking of technology—you can download the GoToMeeting app on your iPhone or Android phone and participate on the go!
5. Did I forget to mention that these types of trainings can be considered continuing education and look great on your résumé? Trust me, being able to demonstrate to a potential/current employer that you are willing to learn gives you a great advantage. These officer training webinars do just that.
6. Have you ever sat through a lecture or presentation and felt like you couldn’t ask questions? Or, maybe you left feeling like you wish you could hear it again for clarity? We have. The format of the officer training webinars is set up so that you can raise your hand, ask a question and get answers quickly and in real time! And, if the webinar is over and you need to review the information, the entire webinar is recorded and available on YouTube. How convenient is that?
7. Did you have so much fun at Convention 2012 meeting Kappas from all over the United States and Canada? We know that being connected and seeing the big picture of our membership is important. So take this opportunity to connect with other Kappas who hold your same officer position, advise it, or “aspire to be” it.
8. Your role might seem overwhelming, but the webinars will give you all the latest information, tips and tricks to make your job easier. Easier is generally better, right? And, if it all still feels overwhelming, you can ask questions and get help during the webinar. Who knows, someone else might be feeling the same way!
9. Officer training webinars are a convenient way to be trained directly by a Kappa expert in your specific role! And, let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to be trained by an expert?
10. Ever start a project and wonder, am I doing this right? Once you’ve participated in the webinar, you’ll know if you’re doing your job right! And if you’re not, you’ll learn how to make it right.
To attend upcoming officer training webinars, you'll find the registration information in your officer folder after logging in to the Members side of the website. If you missed the current webinar, or would like to view previous webinars, please visit Kappa's official YouTube channel