Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation

FAQ for Scholarship Applications

1. Who may apply for a scholarship?
Scholarships are available to initiated members of Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity who are at least second-year students at a college or university.

2. What is the amount of the scholarships?
Most scholarships are $3,000 for the academic year. There are a few scholarships for lesser amounts. Marisol Scholarships provide 75 percent of educational expenses for one year.

3. Where can I find the applications?
Applications are available between Nov. 15 and Feb. 1 on the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation website, www.kappa.org/foundation. 

To better prepare for the application questions, please review the sample undergraduate and graduate applications. *These are sample applications. To be considered for a scholarship, you must apply through the online application process.

4. What is the deadline for scholarship applications?
All scholarship applications must be submitted online by 5 p.m. ET on Feb. 1. 

5. What supporting documents are required with the application?
An official transcript from your current college or university and the required references must be submitted.

6. Can I send my transcripts and letters of recommendation directly to Foundation Headquarters?
Transcripts must be emailed to the Kappa Foundation by 5 p.m. ET on Feb. 1. Transcripts must be official transcripts from the registrar’s office. You may upload your official transcript directly to your application. References must be uploaded directly to your application or sent through the reference request link. References sent via email or U.S. mail will not be accepted.

7. How will I know if the Kappa Foundation received my supporting documents?
While you cannot change your application once it is submitted, you are able to upload documents. Furthermore, you can see if requested references have been submitted or uploaded directly to your application. 

8. How long should my personal essay be?
Your personal essay should be no longer than two pages or 4,500 characters. 

9. What are the eligibility requirements? 
Scholarships are available to initiated members of Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity who have a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale and are full-time students. Undergraduate applicants must be members in good standing. Graduate applicants may be part-time students if they are enrolled in a degree-seeking program. Graduate applicants must have been members in good standing as undergraduates. 

10. What criteria is used for selection?
Decisions are based on a combination of factors, including academic merit and financial need as well as participation and leadership within Kappa and the community.

11. What is the process for applying for the Marisol Scholarship?
Fill out the application for both an Undergraduate Scholarship and a Marisol Scholarship. There are several additional requirements for a Marisol Scholarship that are described in the application. Your school’s financial package may be altered if you are awarded a Marisol Scholarship. Contact your school's financial aid office to learn how it might affect you.

12. I am currently an undergraduate, but I plan to go to graduate school next year. Which application should I submit?
Submit the application for the Graduate Scholarship.

13. Can I apply for a Graduate Scholarship if I do not know the school I am going to attend?
Yes! Just list the schools you have applied to. If awarded a scholarship, you will be asked to submit your acceptance letter. 

14. When will I be notified if I received a scholarship?
Applicants will be notified by early June regardless of the decision. Kappa Scholars will receive instructions via email and must send confirmation to Kappa Headquarters by July 1. Please make sure you provide a current email address and mailing address.

15. When are scholarships disbursed?
Scholarship checks are mailed to Kappa Scholars in August. Checks will not be sent to a university’s or college’s financial aid office. Kappa Scholars should not sign these checks over to their institution.

16. Which application should I use if I am not graduating in four years?
If you have not received a college degree, use the application for an Undergraduate Scholarship. If you have received a bachelor’s degree and you are attending college for a second bachelor’s degree, use the application for a Graduate Scholarship.

Applicants who are dual enrolled should apply for an Undergraduate Scholarship. Applicants pursuing a doctor of pharmacy degree should apply for an Undergraduate Scholarship. 

If you have additional questions, please contact the Scholarships Chairman at scholarships@kkg.org.